Our mission: equitable access to solar energy for every Texan.
Because we envision a world where our children will grow up in a clean, safe climate, TXSES supports bold solutions to educate and inspire every Texan to adopt solar energy as part of an equitable, 100% clean energy future.
For more than four decades, TXSES has been the pre-eminent statewide organization developing free thought-leading, independent, fact-based educational materials that inspire innovation, share best practices and inform decision-makers on the critical importance of sound, favorable solar policies that will grow the industry; protect clean air; build healthy, resilient communities; support local, well-paying jobs; and lay the foundation for building a strong solar foundation for a 100% clean energy future for Texas, one community at a time.
A membership-based organization, TXSES’s unique niche is exemplified in our well-established local chapters in Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. Having boots on the ground in these major metropolitan cities, which represent nearly a quarter of Texas’s 29 million citizens, enables our gifted, dedicated experts to disseminate fact-based, relevant solar information
Here’s a quick look at some of what we do:
- Publishing our quarterly newsletter, Solar Reflector
- Encouraging cities to join the SolSmart program and improve their policies related to rooftop solar
- Organizing the Austin Cool House Tour, a collaboration with Austin Energy’s Green Building Program, held annually since 1997
- Organizing solar home tours with selected electric cooperatives and supporting local home tours organized by our chapters (see our latest upcoming events)
- Providing grants to our chapters in Austin, North Texas, Houston and San Antonio
- Providing support (along with our North Texas chapter) to the Solar Car Challenge, a national competition each July for high school students that starts at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth
- Using model solar car kits to teach elementary and middle school students about solar energy (video)
2020 TXSES Board of Directors
All members of the board except the chapter representatives are elected at large by the membership to two-year terms. Terms are staggered such that half of the board positions are elected each December. Any TXSES member may seek election to the board.